To Use Active Optical Cables
in Audio Visual Applications.
What is an Active Optical Cable, a.k.a. AOC?
Often referred to as an AOC, active optical cables are hybrid copper and fiber interconnect cables. While AOCs were originally created to replace copper technology in data centers, newer technology now allows for AOCs to be available in common AV formats such as HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB, creating new possibilities where standard formats were once limited.
How to choose a quality AOC.
- Look for AOCs that are powered from the source and don’t require an external power supply.
- Choose an AOC that can truly deliver a 4K60 4:4:4 signal up to 100 m/328 ft.
- Choose an AOC with full 18 Gbps bandwidth.
- Look for AOCs constructed with real glass, not plastic optical fiber products.
- Confirm the AOC manufacturer has a US patented platform.
Why use AOCs for Audio Visual Applications?
Ensure rich, deep color and true 4K60 4:4:4 resolution
Reduce possible failure points by eliminating the need for extenders and dongles
Achieve long interconnect cable runs (up to 100 m) with one cable!
Future Proof your project for 4K and 8K content down the road